Welcome to the Grey & Simcoe Foresters.

  • Norex 2015

    Approximately 200 members of 4th…

    Read more
  • Sunshine Foundation

    Members of the Grey and Simcoe…

    Read more
  • Soil Repatriation Ceremony

    Rory MacKinnon, one of several…

    Read more
  • Stalwart Guardian 2015

    The Grey & Simcoe Foresters…

  • HRH Visit

    Her Royal Highness Princess Anne…

    Read more


The Grey and Simcoe Foresters
is a Primary Reserve infantry regiment of the Canadian Forces. It is part of Land Force Central Area's 31 Canadian Brigade Group.

Due to the restructuring of the "Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters" into The Mercian Regiment, The Grey and Simcoe Foresters is the only remaining unit in the Commonwealth of Nations known to be designated as a regiment of Foresters.

While many regiments of fusiliers, grenadiers and highlanders may be found in the armies of the Commonwealth, only one regiment of foresters exist - The Grey and Simcoe Foresters of the Canadian Army. The Canadian Foresters have had a unique history that has lived up to its rural versatility and spirit. The Foresters have enjoyed one of the most diverse roles in the Canadian Army, serving as infantry, armoured and artillery. Previously, The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters of the British Army also held this title, however due to restructuring into the The Mercian Regiment, only one holder of this name now exists.

Foresters are a very old form of infantry finding its antecedents in Robin Hood’s Sherwood Forest. The Grey and Simcoe Foresters were formed from the 1936 amalgamation of the 31st Grey Regiment and the 35th Simcoe Foresters both originally gazetted on September 14, 1866. Following the 1837 Rebellion, the Government of Upper Canada retained in January 1838 one troop of cavalry and three militia battalions on active service along the Niagara River and in Toronto. One of these battalions was a composite made up of soldiers from the two Simcoe County battalions of that era. This composite battalion, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Carthew, was known as the 1st Simcoe Incorporated Militia (Royal Foresters). This is the earliest known reference to the Simcoe County militia as "Foresters."